Brig Gen Bryan J. Teff is the Assistant Adjutant General, Michigan Air National Guard. He is the principle advisor to the Adjutant General of all Michigan Air National Guard matters. He commands 2,500 ready Airmen executing multi-domain global operations, safeguarding the homeland, and supporting Michigan communities. In addition, General Teff serves as the Air National Guard Assistant to Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Material Command, Tinker AFB, Okla. He is the senior Air National Guard and total force advisor for analytic total-force assessments, policy oversight, and implementation. Leads oversight of total-force missions and roles in support of CSF, SecAF, OSD, MAJCOM and CODEL taskings. Balances National Guard equities in shaping multi-billion dollar force structure, manpower, and acquisition programs.
General Teff received his commission in 1989 from the U.S. Air Force Academy where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Operations Research. He then completed undergraduate pilot training at Columbus Air Force Base, Miss. Following pilot training, his first assignment was as a T-38 instructor pilot, followed by a transition to the A-10A and A-10C. General Teff joined the Michigan Air National Guard in 1998 and has served in a variety of leadership and command roles throughout the state. He participated in military operations as an A-10 and MQ-9 pilot to include Operation Southern Watch, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Freedom Sentinel, and Operation Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current assignment, General Teff was the Wing Commander of the 110th Wing, Battle Creek Air National Guard Base, Mich.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Operations Research, United States Air Force Academy, USAF Academy, Colorado
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2008 Air Operations Center Initial Qualification Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2011 Air National Guard Commander Development Course
2014 Master of Science in Management, American Public University System, Charles Town, West Virginia
2014 USAF Commanders Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2018 Joint Forces Staff College – Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. June 1989 - August 1990, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. August 1990 - October 1992, Instructor Pilot T-38A, Stan/Eval pilot, Executive Officer, Flight Commander, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. October 1992 - November 1994, Instructor Pilot T-38A, Stan/Eval pilot, Executive Officer, Flight Commander, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. November 1994 - August 1996, Aircraft Commander, Moody AFB, Ga
5. September 1996 - December 1997, Wing Life Support Officer, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. December 1997 - May 1998, Flight Commander, 70th Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. May 1998 - June 2000, A-10A Pilot, 110th Fighter Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
8. June 2000 - June 2003, Flight Commander, 110th Fighter Wing, 172nd Fighter Squadron, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
9. June 2003 - June 2005, Group Chief of Stan/Eval, 110 Operations Flight, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
10. June 2005 - January 2011, Commander, 110th Operations Support Flight, A-10A and A-10C Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, 110th Fighter Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
11. January 2011 - April 2014, Base Commander, Combat Readiness Training Center, Alpena, Mich.
12. April 2014 - April 2015, Commander, 127th Mission Support Group, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
13. April 2015 - December 2015, Vice Wing Commander, 110th Attack Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
14. December 2015 - May 2019, Wing Commander, 110th Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
15. May 2019 - August 2019, Chief of Staff, Lansing, MI
16.September 2019 – Present, Commander, Michigan Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Lansing, Mich.; dual-hatted, May 2020 – Present, Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Material Command, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600 hours, including 433 combat hours
Aircraft flown: A-10A/C, MQ-9, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and ten oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major Jan. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 10, 2004
Colonel July 22, 2009
Brigadier General May 28, 2019
Major General March 1, 2023
(Current as of April 2023)